These are the best podcast/talks I've seen/listen to recently:
- Benefits Of Going Beyond The Make-It-Work Phase (Francisco Climent) [Agile, Technical Practices, XP, tdd, testing] [Duration: 0:40:00] Interesting talk about the benefits of using TDD in embedded systems. The talk is full of useful tips, patterns, and strategies very useful in both embedded and non-embedded environments. Special mention to how Francisco uses mutation testing in the development process.
- DRY Software Patterns & Microservices (Dave Farley) [Software Design, Technical Practices] [Duration: 0:16:00] In this episode, Dave Farley of Continuous Delivery explores DRY, Coupling and Microservices and how they interact. Dave takes a pragmatic software engineering approach to exploring the pros and cons of DRY on different scales and describes why the microservices example may be more complicated than it looks.
- Want More Value Faster? Take Many More Much Smaller Steps (GeePaw Hill) [Agile, Lean Software Development, Technical Practices, XP, tdd] [Duration: 0:55:00] (⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐) A must-talk for anyone trying to do lean/agile software development. The talk delves into the reasons why the strategy of using small, safe steps is the right one to steadily evolve a software system. I am very much aligned with this approach to software development.
- The Trimodal Nature of Software Engineer Compensation: Why Positions Pay a (Very) Different Salar (Gergely Orosz) [Engineering Career, General, Management, Technical leadership] [Duration: 0:13:00] Interesting information about compensation /salary for software engineering positions in Europe mainly.
- KEYNOTE Designing change (Jessica Kerr, Avdi Grimm) [Agile, Architecture, Evolutionary Design, Inspirational, Software Design] [Duration: 0:48:00] (⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐) The journey of a software developer is a climb through abstraction: algorithms, patterns, architecture.... How do we keep expanding scope, without losing focus on the real work? Join us for a journey into the fourth dimension, where we don't just change code; we design change.