These are the best podcast/talks I've seen/listen to recently:
- Engineering Your Organization: Services, Platforms, and Communities (Randy Shoup) [Company Culture, Engineering Culture, Inspirational, Management, Platform, Platform as a product, Technology Strategy] [Duration: 0:38:00] (⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐) Great summary about the different ways high-performing engineering organizations gain leverage by specialization and sharing.
- TDD, where did it all go wrong (Ian Cooper) [Technical Practices, tdd, testing] [Duration: 1:01:00] (⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐) Essential talk about how to do TDD in an efficient way and getting a battery of tests that support continuous refactoring. It fundamentally changed my approach to TDD. I highly recommend it.
- Driving a Tech-led Reimagination of eBay Through DevOps (US 2021) (Randy Shoup, Mark Weinberg) [Devops, Technical leadership] [Duration: 0:33:00] (⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐) A very interesting session about eBay's strategy to improve delivery performance. A great example of engineering leadership.
- How Honeycomb Manages Incident Response (Fred Hebert) [Incident respond, Operations] [Duration: 0:30:00] In this talk, Fred covers the full incident lifecycle at Honeycomb: all the way from first detecting issues to resolving them. But most of the effective practices we implement come from work that happens before and after those incidents. You'll also learn about systems we use at Honeycomb that can also help you implement better incident response with your teams.
- Common Mistakes Data Scientists Make With BIG DATA (Dave Farley) [Big Data, Continuous Delivery, Data Engineering, Data Science] [Duration: 0:14:00] (⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐) n this episode Dave Farley explores how we could do a better job of dealing with data. Ideas like data pipelines and data mesh are becoming more common and more applicable as the scale of the data that we are dealing with grows. Managing the complexity in these activities, as in any other aspect of software engineering, is critical to success with data.
- Ship It! #31 Is Kubernetes a platform? (Tammer Saleh, Gerhard Lazu) [Devops, Platform, Platform as a product, k8s] [Duration: 1:01:00] Interesting conversation about how to use k8s as a base for a platform.